On July 11th 2011, FIDH, APROEV, CIFCA, FIAN International, IUF and Via Campesina International presented at the European Parliament the conclusions and recommendations from the report of the international fact-finding mission to Bajo Aguán valley, which took place from February 26th to March 4th 2011. They denounced the continuation of murders and grave human rights violations in Honduras.
- Comply with the legal requirements and the political agreements relating to the agrarian conflicts, and take the necessary measures to achieve a sustainable and just solution to the problem of land ownership.
The organisations recall the fundamental role of the international community to guarantee the protection and promotion of human rights in Honduras. We observe with deep consternation the return of Honduras to the OAS, without considering the absence of guarantees regarding the investigation and sanction of serious human
rights violations committed during and after the coup d’état in this country.
Therefore, we urge the International Community to reinforce its attention and actions on the human rights situation in Honduras, particularly in El Bajo Aguán. That should include:
- Contributing with strong and concrete measures to a greater protection of the people at risk, particularly relating to El Bajo Aguán;
- Carrying out a permanent monitoring of the situation in El Bajo Aguán, especially of the progress in the resolution of the agrarian conflict, and the investigations and trials of those responsible for the murders, including technical advice to national authorities;
- Ensuring the effective local implementation of the EU guidelines on the protection for human rights defenders;
- Establishing a permanent office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights in Honduras.
For access to the full report, visit http://www.fidh.org/honduras